You’re looking for productivity, right? Aren’t we all? As business owners, it’s difficult to find an employee that can work for 8 hours straight. Let’s face it- it’s almost impossible for any human being to work that long without needing some sort of reprieve. And besides, studies show that short breaks are great for boosting worker productivity. But the key here is to delegate how your employees spend their breaks to increase productivity for you and sanity for them!
The Pomodoro Technique
The Pomodoro technique isn’t a new concept, especially if you’re familiar with the struggles of self-employment such as time-management and stress-management. However, bringing this model into the workplace can have immense benefits for you, as the employer, and for your workers, the powerhouse of your production.
Introduced in the 1980’s by Francesca Cirillo, this technique is named after that tomato-shaped kitchen timer because the emphasis is on taking small breaks in between different tasks. For example, instead of trying to cram one large project into 8 hours, you would split that project into manageable chunks with small breaks in between. But going further, this technique works best when working on multiple projects because you can effectively alternate between projects and give your brain a different task to focus on for each chunk of time.
College students around the world are now being taught this technique in time-management course because it helps reinvigorate the mind and helps you focus on the task at hand, allowing you to be more efficient and productive. People who use the Pomodoro technique can easily meet deadlines minus the stress of work overload.
“There’s an App for That”
- ClearFocus: This app is android based and allows you to set time limits on certain tasks. It will also count down until it’s time for a break or new task.
- Focus Booster: This app is based on the Pomodoro Technique and while it’s emphasis is on optimizing focus, it also has features that allow tracking and reporting for business purposes. Because this app was created with business in-mind, it’s not free but it comes at a low cost of only $2.99 per month.
- PomoDone: This nifty app can help configure your schedule. Just be mindful of how long your subscription lasts.
Change of Scenery
The most important component to a healthy break-time is a change of scenery. Get up, take a walk, see something new. The office (or your home office) can be creatively stifling and literally cost you money in lost time. Just think of how many minutes add up as you stare blankly at your computer screen or procrastinate on some petty task in order to avoid the real job at hand. Get some exercise, visit a coffee shop- anything that will help refresh your mind and body.
“There’s an App for That Too”
- Wherever Workout: Download the android app to get workout routines that you can easily do anywhere- the office, home, the parking lot. Best of all, it’s free!
- Workout Trainer (Androidand iOS): This app takes it up a notch by showing you how to do each workout and avoid any type of injury properly.
- Pedometer & Weight Loss Coach: (Androidand iOS) If you’re looking for a calorie counter, this little guy has just what you’re looking for, and it also tracks your steps. It has a convenient history function that allows you to see your progress and make healthier decisions in the future.
Any office environment can be stressful. Ever heard of deep breathing techniques? There’s a reason that breathing techniques have taken the forefront in health talks around the world. Stress is a killer and regular breathing can really counter stress, help you clear your mind, and be much more productive.
You Got It… “There’s an App for That Too”
- Calm: Who thought there would be a web app that provides soothing, ambient sounds? Calm, apparently. It’s popular, free, and helps you relax so you can get back to work.
- Breathe2Relax: (Androidand iOS) This app is an educational tool that dives deeper into deep breathing techniques and helps stabilize your mood. Think of this app as the intermediate level.
- Smart Breathe: (Androidand iOS) This app shows you exactly how to do some real deep breathing, and it’s absolutely free.
We want to hear how you spend your breaks. Let us know in the comments!